Thursday, May 16, 2019

Please tell me it hasn't been a month and two days since my last post....ok, so it has.

Hi All,

My 10 day trip to New Mexico was fun, exhausting, and stressful in some ways. Switching to a new flight at 3 am, due to a text alert 30 minutes after I was asleep for a 5:30 am flight, was not what I anticipated. Nonetheless, I made it. It was not what I thought it would be, but it ended up being delightful. I was then in my house for a whopping six days before I headed to my professional conference, which was packed full of things for five days. Note: The finger was not present, when I took the photo. It appeared when I uploaded it to Instagram. (Sigh....perfectly imperfect is the result).


I know I repeated myself. Some may have observed that I was borderline panicking at a few points:

Example A: "What? I can't have 13 slides for a 5 minute talk? Where did I miss this requirement? Ok - I will fix this by making faces and using those to hold the audience captive."

Example B: "Um, I am supposed to judge this paper and it is over my head (completely). I really wonder why they talked extensively about study design, background, etc. - I would have emphasized the data. After chatting with another colleague, who is qualified, I was relieved to hear that my opinion was shared by at least one other attendee."

Some things I will repeat next year and others I will not. The reorganization, while good, is definitely making things more stressful or perhaps I am getting overly invested. After joining in 2007 and taking on a leadership role in 2017, I feel obligated to steer a boat, I hope, in the right direction.

Almost a year ago, I began a fellowship program, which will conclude in just a few months. It changed how I approach my work, collaborations, support system, and more. The goal was to do a project and publish or at least present within a year's time. I did an e-poster, Lightning Talk (See Exhibit A), and in the peer-review stages of the project. I would love to submit it by Memorial Day weekend, but I am taking the time to make it good before I attempt submission.

Health wise, I am feeling pretty good and, in fact, much better than I have since about oh September. I am quickly approaching my 1 year of pneumonia free living - yippee! Am I proud to be typing this and feeling so exuberant? Nope - but I am delighted to have avoided getting sick.

On Saturday, I will likely get the cello (on loan from my Mom - a long story that I might share later!) and I might try out a rock climbing wall. Between not feeling great and the weather being uncooperative, this just didn't happen (yet).

On Sunday, I am going to try joining a new group for a run. I might not survive, but it will not hurt to do my best and see just how much progress I have made running wise. It will also be a good test run for my 10k on June 9th. I will run the entire distance and be smiling (even if it appears to be a grimace). It will likely not be pretty but that's ok.

For next week, I am actually going to....gasp..write up a running and cross-training schedule and see if I can follow it. Post June 9th. I will evaluate my options and see if a non-customized training plan will be sufficient to do additonial 5ks, 10ks, and (I hope) a Fall Half Marathon.

Meanwhile, I am incredibly greatful for the faculty member, who loaned a book to me, and encouraged me to get outside. I am happily composing this as I swat mosquitos (Where are those lizards when I need them!), munch on snacks, and sign-up to volunteer for races.

Happy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment