Monday, October 19, 2015

The Squash Boats - Idea taken from Tina Muir!

Bummer..the automatic publishing feature on this does not work!  I did not get in my scheduled workout before work, but I did get in a run (hurrah) and it felt so good after a five day break.

A few weeks ago, I noticed, when hunting around for ideas involving Spaghetti Squash, the notion of Boats (half a Spaghetti Squash) stuffed with veggies on Tina Muir's website.  With my parents visiting and my Mom being a fellow squash fan, I decided to give it a try and have done variations of the theme in the past couple of weeks.  Below is the version I chose most recently.

A photo posted by Runningwithallergies (@runningwithallergies) on
Ingredients:

Spaghetti Squash
Filling - anything from butter, scallions, goat cheese, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, green beans, etc. can be used!

Instructions:

1)Preheat the oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit while microwaving your squash of choice for approximately 3-5 minutes.  Note - This idea, which works great, comes from Healthy Regards Hayley's Blog.  If you don't read it yet, check it out today!

2)Remove the squash, cut it in half, and place it face down on a baking sheet.  A stone might also work.  Note:  Some recommend rubbing the insides with olive oil.  I have done it both ways and either work.

3)Cook the squash for 30-40 minutes or until the inside is tender.

4)While the squash is cooling, finish up the preparations for the filling.  Depending on how much time I have or for whom I am making the other half, I might get fancy or stick with spaghetti sauce, a few veggies, and some cheese.  (Yep, I can have dairy, but I am doing the balancing act of how much and what kinds are ok to prevent an acid reflux attach.)

Happy Monday, All!




4 comments:

  1. Awww thanks for the shoutout, so glad you enjoyed! I LOOOVVVE goats cheese, and I love how much you have on there! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..so do I!! Getting a little bit of dairy back into my diet is nice, but I will not forsake the goat cheese. My Mom added some to hers the first time and I took it a bit farther. :)

      Delete
  2. I love squash boats too! Thanks for joining Tina and I today for Meatless Monday hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they not the best? So fast, fun, and nutritious - sigh, how can you not love them? I was busier than expected the past few weeks, but I am going to try and get back into this!

      Delete