Monday, July 4, 2016

"Keep Moving" and Serious Training Starts


Yesterday morning, I checked out more books than I planned from the local public library.  Should this come as a surprise?  No - I might not get through all of them, but so far they are fun.  We need more fun.

At any rate, "Keep Moving" by Dick Van Dyke helped me gain some perspective about my current running progress.  Am I moving?  Yep - do I get a little better each time?  Yep - do I ever expect compete professionally?  No - I am running for me.  After chatting with a person at a running store, I nearly deferred or switched races for November 12th.  The computer malfunctioned, which gives me some additional time to consider if I can do it or not.

It also helped me realize that getting older is inevitable, which I knew, but that it does not mean the joys of every day life disappear.  My focus tends to be on advancing in my career and that's it.  This book is another reminder that it is possible to have a life outside of work and I can do this.  At one point in my life, it was not such a "big deal."

After completing 15 miles of running and cross-training, I am tired but overall I feel ok.  Given that I had not run much at all a week ago, this gives me hope.  So - the semi-serious training starts tomorrow with a goal of completing the September 2nd half marathon and not getting injured or losing the love of it in the process.

Let's give a big congrats to Tina Muir for doing so well in the European Championships today!  To those running for the Olympic Trials spots today, good luck!  I will be happily cheering for all of you from afar.


No comments:

Post a Comment