Wednesday, October 12, 2016

How I am surviving the Plank Challenge & Long Run Route Discovery

Hey All,

As of tonight, I have six remaining plank challenge workouts and one rest day.  Had you asked me if I would still be doing this nearly a month ago, I would have laughed and said, "Um...nope!"  I can say, though, that this has helped get me back into a routine - even with setbacks (pointing at the flu shot, now!) - and I am so glad to be doing it.  I am not gonna lie, after this 30-60 seconds of planks at one time are my limit.  How I am accomplishing this?  Simple - two suggestions are listed for you next:

1)Break it into smaller segments of seconds (5,10, 15, 30, 45, 60).  Remember - the only person to be upset about this break in routine is you.  Also keep your form as it should be.  If it fades, stop the clock and reset.  Then restart it.

2)Try different plank positions!  I now rotate 30 seconds with a reverse plank.  15-30 seconds on each side.  Then, lastly - I move to the original plank position.  I try to hold that one for 60 seconds, but I stop sooner if I need to do so.

This plank challenge is tightening up my stomach, arm, and core muscles.  It is something I needed and I will continue with it, but not in the lengthy increments of the challenge.  I will be happy to keep up the build up to 60 seconds of each.

Today - I tried out a route, which was new, and I think it might be perfect for long runs.  Immediately after I finished, though, the rain drops started and then quickly stopped.  This tweet sums up my run mentality this evening perfectly:

"Want to see me run faster than usual? Simple - tell me it will be dark soon. Or say a horrific storm with lightening is on the way."

Meanwhile, I have no exciting pictures, but I will fix that next time.

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment