Saturday, April 28, 2018

Review of Training Cycle, Reflections from 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago; Community Support

Hi All,

Alert, alert - this post is likely to be a bit long, but I figured you earned it, because I have been tardy in posting. Last weekend, I was in the office more than I was running or at home. Yep, tenure does this, but thankfully I am in a better place with it mentally. It took some time, tears, and rethinking my approach to reach this.

In early March, just before work got crazy on a project (mentioned above, a 2-3 week of craziness in late March), I got to a good place again with tenure. I will do my best to get it, but I am not giving up trying new things, traveling, or my integrity to accomplish this. I definitely do not appreciate the varying responses to tenure, but I can only work on my own. So, I am now taking yoga once or more a week. It is working on helping me move smoothly and all the extra breathing, well, it is helping me maintain a sense of calm and regain perspective.

A year ago, I backed out of first a half marathon and then a 5k. I was not fueling, because I did not know it was necessary. Within a month, I learned that I was anemic and I noticed immediate improvement, when taking iron, which I continue to take today. I notice pretty quickly, if I change the dose in the iron. After taking prescription medications and not doing well with them, it is a relief to be able to find the right dose in most pharmacies. For about the previous 5 years, I was dealing with tons of allergies (hence the name of this Blog, Instagram, Twitter) and my miles just got progressively slower. Did this bother me? No - I had so much trouble breathing, fueling, etc. that running was a chore not fun. I took off completely for about 3 months, which was the longest stretch of no running or basically any activity ever. Am I back to where I was pre-allergy craziness? Nope - I am accepting and appreciating the progress as it comes. I am loving running and that pushes me forward.

Just by meeting some Oiselle folks in November, I am starting to accept the encouragement and support in ways I did not previously. I added in strength training this year and suddenly I am recovering and feeling better than I have in previous cycles. Per my request, my mileage is higher. Yes, I am tired and I am eating more, but it is much improved. The days I needed to skip, once I recovered from pneumonia, was at most two days. I am so thankful for this and also for the courage to admit (to oiselle folks) that sometimes you need help.This - along with the previous paragraph - shows me that I am moving in the right direction, albeit at times it is really slow and sometimes frustrating.

This training cycle, I completed a 6k (new distance), 8k trail race (new distance, race type), and I found a place to run that gives me the opportunity to once again train on hills. Did my body complain for the latter two? Yep. Did I let it stop me? Nope. I just made sure to stretch extra, foam roll, and do yoga. I decided that the instagram photo, shown below, is my warrior face:

And this is how goofy I look post-last serious speedwork in Goodr glasses. That was one incredible workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment