Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Weights and Strength Training - Still Weak, Getting Stronger

Hi All,

Ever since this Summer, I have been wanting to try out Tina Muir and Drew Watts strength training program. If you have not heard of it, more information is available here.

Reasons I did not jump on the bandwagon at first:

1)Price - It is not cheap, but if you pay it all upfront then you get it for two years. They also have an installment plan.

2)Pain - Yep, give me sore muscles from running, hiking, biking, walking, and I will not complain. The pain from doing weights and strength training, however, makes me run and quickly away from whatever happens to be causing it.

3)Time - Until a bit late summer/early fall, I struggled to find time for running much less anything else. Getting through the day was an accomplishment and anything else was a bonus. In late summer/early Fall, it all clicked and consistency appeared. It was not so much that I had more time - rather, I had less of it. My goal each day was to just do my best - regardless of how I felt - and to focus on getting it in rather than feeling lovely going into each run, workout, or cross-training session.

4)Support/Commitment - It is widely acknowledged in my family that I am the weak link when it comes to strength. My lower body can hold its own, but my upperbody is just a bit puny. When you are trying to get away from comparing yourself, I was terrified that this plan might not be for me.

2 weeks in and 2 days of rest - I am feeling better and moving better than I have in a long time. This program puts myrtl and everything else I thought worked to shame. Granted - I did decide to stick with the introductory week for a bit longer than some, but I think taking it slow is the key for me to continue improving. I am excited to see how this will improve my overall fitness, training, and races!

Today, after 3 weeks of fairly consistent strength training, I did my first real speed work session since running the half marathon on November 4th. Amazingly enough, I went faster on all the paces than I was scheduled to hit (no watch me for the win!) and my breathing only got ragged for the last 2 of the last scheduled 200 meters.

If it was not for the breathing and other fun parts of the strength program, I am convinced today would not have gone as well. It also makes me think that the best is yet to come!

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment