Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Running in the Heat: Love it? Hate it? No Preference?

Blogger fail - the picture looked fine, I posted it, checked it this morning, and they looked awful.  I have removed them.  My apologies to all!  I will get this down, eventually.
 
With the onset of the allergy news three weeks ago this afternoon, getting up and out to run in the morning has been an issue.  Normally - I am a morning person and I will do anything to avoid running in the heat.  Starting in January, I began working 7-4 pm.  This means on those mornings, when I do make it up-and-out, I am starting by 4:30-4:45ish at the latest.

Yesterday evening, I did my first 2 by 2.5 mile workout and I started around 4:45 pm.  The heat index was in the mid 80s, the dew point was in the mid60s, and it was so tempting to just not do it.  Instead, I persisted.  My times were slow.  Walking during the 4 min of rest between sets was necessary.  My time varied by 2 minutes and the first round was on gravel and the second was on pavement and gravel.  I had to cut the cool down short, since I had another meeting.

In short - this workout is indicative of a person mid-change.  No - heat is not my preference and I did drink a ton of fluids after it.  It will, however, make me stronger at some point and I am proud that I did the workout, even if the time, temperature, and overall feeling about it were not ideal.

This Saturday, when I run my 3rd Half Marathon, I have about an hour to drive, since I am not sure exactly how long it will take.  I will be up by 4 am, fueled and out the door by 5, and parked and warming up by 6-6:15 for a race starting at 7 am.

Check back on Friday to learn more about my pre-race fueling strategies!  I can tell you I have learned a few things that are not working this week, but sharing dud recipes is not fun. 

Happy Running!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment