Monday, October 26, 2015

Tough Weekend and Calorie Counting

After spending most of the weekend dressed warmly, wrapped in blankets, not having much interest in food, and waiting to hear the status of switching races; I have decided to defer my full marathon entry until next year.  It is right the decision, but it is not an easy one to accept.  Also - until December, I will be running only when I feel comfortable, excited, and ready to do so at my own pace and for the distance I determine.  I am still looking forward to seeing my family and spending some time away from work.

It never occurred to me, when I started altering my diet drastically to minimize allergies, that it would impact my caloric intake.  As I became progressively more exhausted, dependent on caffeine, and disappointed with how long it took me to recover from running; I finally wised up and left a message with my Primary Care Doctor.  It took a second call, a week later, to highlight the real issues - lack of energy, not matching allergy test results, what's the deal?

As of this evening, I started tracking my calorie intake.  Most people do this to lose weight and I am doing it to try and regain my energy.  According to a moderately active person, 2200 calories is the normal amount to consume in a day.  By 3 pm this afternoon, I had consumed around 500 calories.  By this evening, I ended up approximately 1300 calories short of the targeted amount.

If you have suggestions, given my allergies, of ways I can boost the caloric intake painlessly, I am all ears!  In the meantime, I will be having lots of eggs, salad, veggies, fruit, rice, and trying out cheese to keep determining what will be useful.

Happy Monday, All!

No comments:

Post a Comment