Thursday, November 9, 2017

Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon Recap: Running 4 Real Meet Up!!!

On Thursday, November 2nd, I left work early (shocker, I know!) and I drove down to my half marathon destination. I got my packet, checked in at my Air BnB, and started prepping for the race.

On Friday, I did my shake-out run, got some food, stretched - lots, got my race gear ready, and then met a group (new to me) for lunch. It was fun and then I walked around the expo with several others. I found a spikey ball (yes, it has a real name, but I think that one works) and my lovely muscles rejoiced!

A post shared by Runningwithallergies (@runningwithallergies) on

Then, I got to meet Tina Muir, who I started following in 2014, for the first time along with some of the Superstars. It was by far the highlight of my weekend. Tina is personable, kind, and even allowed me to purchase a Running 4 Real vest. I added it as a layer to my race gear for the following day. Without it, I would have been a bit miserable.

Below are my 10k stats (previous week) and my race outfit for the half marathon:

My pre-race fueling was simple peanut bread on a piece of bread and then some additional pieces of bread. 3 total of wheat bread, I think, and then lots and lots of water. I debated about the peanut butter, but I had not fueled enough the previous week and felt it close to mile 6.

Fueling - I used Cliff Bar fruit roll-up things. After starting to train with them and eating them in April, I am over them. No more, no more will I eat this. I will find something else for the next round.

Start - mile 10: I went a out a bit slower than I probably needed, but I was determined to not go out overly fast. I also got to speak with two first time half marathoners and I coaxed/pushed one along a bit at mile 10. Overall, I hit most of the water stations, actually ran the tangents (this means your overall distance is close to the course distance!), and only had a few spots where I was not thrilled to be surrounded by people making running the pace I wanted tricky.

Mile 10 (go time!): I had started picking up my pace a bit, but then this person, who looked familar, just stopped and started walking. This was so me two years ago, under different conditions, and I said something to her, only because we had chatted for a bit at the beginning. I basically said, "Don't give up on yourself. You have a 5k to go. You can do this." I ended up leaving her in a pack of folks and I just hope she ended up finishing the race running with a smile or at least sense of satisfaction.

Then - until the end - I was trying to pick up the pace. Overall, it went ok, but I cannot say that I loved this half marathon. It was pretty flat, but it also had tons of turns and lots of people. I would do it again, but I am going to see what next Fall looks like before determining what to do.

In many ways this was my redemption or come back race. Yes, I did it in 2:20:16, which is much faster than my previous half marathon 2 years ago. My coach, training, family, and the Running 4 Real grow are all major contributors.

I won't say I enjoyed the half, but I got closer than I ever have to finishing and saying, "hmm...when should I do my next!" Like the 5k, the distance is easier to handle if you train properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment