Friday, July 28, 2017

Yep, it was tough. Infected bug bites stink.

The week started off ok. I thought, after tough days in the previous week, that I had a handle on this last week pre-arrival of the students. Tuesday night, I had the best speed workout in a year. It was amazing. I surpassed all my set paces and completed even the "optional" portion. I also had a partner/buddy for the first time and it was really cool! My coach was shocked but in a good way and then I decided to do the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon. On Wednesday, starting at about 10 am, the perfect storm hit. An issue, which I had gotten hints about but decided not to freak about handling since I could not do anything, blew up into a giant mess. I spent most of Wednesday and Thursday fixing it. A year ago, this experience would have kicked me back a few steps. This time - granted - it was really tough and, yeah, I have had some emotional and tough moments. I did not, however, let it stop me from doing my best to fix it. I am actively searching for ways to prevent this mess from occurring in the future. It also made me realize how - in the scheme of things - my first priority will always be supporting my colleagues, faculty, staff, and students. These folks make me want to come into the office each day. Tenure is something I will strive to get, but my focus is not on it. Then - sometime between Tuesday night and midday Wednesday, I got a giant bite. It looked unusual, which was my first hint, that perhaps something was off about it. I tried wearing a long sleeve shirt in hopes of minimizing the itch factor, but it only made things worse. Finally, after trying Benadryl spray and my normal allergy medicine; I went into Urgent on the advice of my doctor. I had taken pictures Thursday night and had planned to into the doctor, if things looked the same or worse this morning. Things had improved, slightly, but the redness and "extra heat" were not a good sign. So - I am now on an antibiotic for 10 days and I hoping it fixes the situation. I react to all medications and I am drinking Kombucha to be safe, while continuing getting probiotics in other ways. I am proud that I made the decision to see the doctor, since I usually must be dragged kicking and screaming (ok - I get prodded) into going. If I learned anything else this week, it is to learn what I can control and to work within reasonable limits to fix or to influence areas that need work, but for which I am unable to be the "only" solution. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment