Sunday, April 15, 2018

8k Trail Race, Hilly Long Run, and Good luck to the Boston Marathoners

Hi All!

What a week it was! The 8k trail race last Saturday brought back some memories of running up hills with trails (or just straight up the mountain) - it both fills you with adrenaline and kills your hips and quads. Last Sunday, I did my 4 mile "shakeout" run and procrastinated for two hours before getting out the door. It was painful and I learned that it is better just to get out the door and do it rather than wait to feel better. You are never going to feel good. So what's the point in delaying?

Yesterday, I did my long run in a hilly metropark in the pouring rain. It was supposed to be a progression run, but I added in some miles and actually ran decent splits given everything. This morning I did my easy run and some foam rolling and myrtl afterward. Yeah, I can tell I did it, but I actually feel pretty decent. For the first time this training cycle, I took a nap. You heard me. I took a nap, which is not customary for me. I was just beat and I know this upcoming week is going to be tough in a couple of different ways.

The weather continues to be capricious and I have run in shorts only one time in 2018. I am excited about the Kalamazoo Half, but I do not expect to get a personal best (breaking 2 hours). This is the best trained I have ever been going into a half marathon and, when it gets tough, I am going to remember my run in the hilly metropark during awful conditions and my 8k trail race.

To all those racing Boston tomorrow, good luck - I hope you have a wonderful experience whether this is your first time or something you have done many times.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment