Saturday, July 29, 2017

Clarity comes with time.

Today, I decided to get in some writing time, since my work schedule did not permit it for the past few weeks. It is inevitable in tenure track positions that you will work longer hours and on weekends. As a clueless college student, I did not understand this. Early in my career, I worked hard and checked email on weekends, but I still did not get it until May 2012, when I started supporting an online-only program and dabbled in doing my own research for the first time. Pre-July 2016, when I entered the tenure-track world, people thought I had a tenure-track position. I was doing research and presenting at conferences. I spotted gaps in programs and sought ways to fill them. I taught (not particularly well) continuing education courses and recognized that my true strength lies in background and supportive roles. Or, if I am asked to teach, the trick is to find ways to engage the audience and to make sure they leave with new knowledge. On August 10th, sixty fourth day health professional students will be in a room with me for four hours. It will be an interesting day and I am hoping that I can make an impact on them. Until September-October of 2016,I still kind of did not get the tenure process. I was looking for something to research and, more importantly, was adjusting to my new position. The full force of tenure hit in October of 2016. I needed to get going on research. I submitted an abstract and continued looking for ideas. In January, after a short respite during the holidays, I got approval to do a study. In April, I was asked to write an article based upon an abstract I had submitted in October 2016. That abstract led to a pilot study in March-April 2017 and a study in June 2017. I am in the process of putting the article together with an end of August deadline. Growing up, I kept hearing the statement, "The more I learn the less I know." My father, you see, is a social-behavioral ecologist and I grew up assisting with his research and attending his presentations. He is an incredible at both. He has literally taught me everything I know and he eventually got tenure, although his path was not one he or anyone else would want to repeat. Is it intimidating to be the daughter of a published and world renowned researcher? Yes-I do not, however, use my Dad's career or accomplishments as a stepping stone for my career. Instead, I continue to assist him, when he cannot find the articles and books he needs (hello, librarian or information professional here!) and he has, from the outset, been the best reviewer of my papers, presentations, and articles. I may frustrate him at times, but he keeps on providing ideas and suggestions. So thanks, Dad - I know we continue to be at odds at various times, since I prefer running to soccer, tennis, or most other group sports, but I still love you and I will continue watching and applauding your professional and athletic accomplishments. I also will not make you run with me ever again, unless you choose to lace-up your shoes and join me. Running is my way to keep sane, work through research and work issues, and...I am at my best, when I can run, race, and just keep on moving. Tenure is the ultimate marathon with the codifier that not everyone will get it. So I am going to write on weekends, as needed, stay late, as needed, and continue to be the best supporter for the community I can and I will find a way to accomplish and to be the best tenure candidate I can during the non-work hours. One can only do so much and that, folks, is the last I plan to say or to write about it. Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment