Thursday, November 9, 2017

Alger Heights 5k/10k - Halloween (Brr, Brr, Brr)


On October 27th, I flew from a conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, pictured above, dropped a few things off at home, and then drove in the wind and rain straight to Grand Rapids, Michigan. I arrived around 10 pm and yes, I was tired!

I signed up for this race on a whim with a goal of testing out my fitness before doing a half marathon on November 4th.

Pre-race - my sleep and fueling were not ideal but I deliberately ate some of what I planned to eat the following week.

Pacing - I wanted to be consistent and feel good. After mile 1, I did not look at my watch. I had no specific time in mind, since many of my solo long runs were on the slow side. I always run faster in groups and at races.

Course - it had a few hills, but it was well marked and support was good. I ended up running at the back of the pack for the 38 of us who chose to do the 10k.

Overall, I am happy with it and I was about 1 minute and 12 seconds or so slower than my 2009 10k. Was I happy? Yes. Schocked? You betcha.

I have decided to do a 10k in future training cycles to get a feel for where I am, especially if I continue to do most of my speed workouts and long runs on my own.

Happy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment