Sunday, September 23, 2018

It's been...two months and 18 days, but I am finally posting. Alert - this might be lengthy!

Hey All!

If I claimed the past 2 months and 18 days were dull, then I would surely be lying. Instead, I travelled to-and-from Chicago for a week of training. Then, the weekend after that I drove to Indianapolis and completed my first relay. I have decided relays require more planning than I gave my first one but they are kind of fun.

Two weeks later, I ran a 5k and managed a 28:45, which is the fastest 5k time I have seen in many years. It's not quite my fastest ever, but I was ecstatic.


Then, I did a 5 mile trail race and volunteered for about 6 hours after it with people I had not met previously. Going into it, I had a bit of tough night, rough morning - I was thrilled they let me participate and I will be happy tp race and volunteer again with this group. It is the most fun I have had volunteering in a non-professional circumstance since moving to the Northwest Ohio - Southeastern Michigan area.

The past 26 months professionally have taught me a lot. If I am required to do research (yes, it's part of the job!), then I am going to find a way to make it meaningful to the community and people I support. My masters program was theoretical enough that it took me a while to figure out how it applied (or didn't in many cases) to what I do. I no longer feel ashamed for doing the work at the office and, in fact, it assists in determining how I allocate the funds under my purview. It is also a fantastic opportunity to better understand how those I serve think and feel.
After a brief six week stint - I concluded that running my own business or being a contract/consultant on the side is not for me. To do it, I need a definite start and end date. Does more to this "story" exist, of course - but given how trusting I am of technology, the lack of evidence about this latest adventure should tell you a lot.

Health wise - my fitness continues to improve and I am getting a bit gutsy. Trail racing fascinates and scares me. My first test of trail shoes led to achy feet and a crank shin. Those shoes are going back the store and thank heavens they have a 30 day return policy. The problems I expected to have never appeared. Instead, I went to my local running shop, asked a bunch of questions and posed the one, which still confuses me about different wear patterns on my shoes. I am hoping this next pair of trail shoes works. I am definitely a size 8 (don't try to put me in something else or my shoes flop like chicken wings when I attempt to accelerate).

Do I still have health questions? Yep. Did I fear for about a month of being the, "Patient from Hell?" Yep - I have been informed that advocating for my health and getting a good response from the doctors (i.e. they moved up the appointment!) are good things. I am not stopping until I get some answers but I also hope to lace up my newly acquired trail shoes for the Great Turtle Trail Half Marathon at the end of October.

My professional association is restructuring and, being a leader of a group, it means lots of extra meetings, talking, and sussing out what the group wants. I am fortunate to have a good supporting group of people and many others are willing to give me opinions. How this plays out? Well - it's all going to happen in the upcoming months regardless of whether or not we can reach a consensus. I only hope - at the end of it - my group emerges with a renewed sense of purpose and desire to continue pushing the association members to try new things, be innovative, and yet find the fun in what we do.

Technology - if used properly - can be good and hold the attention of the audience. We are running the, "My Favorite Tool," session for the second time in May 2019. It will be fun, fast-paced, and a bit different. The rockstar judges know that I will protect them from contestants and the contestants know I am not judging them, because face-it I could not do so with an unbiased perspective. I only hope that we get a good turnout, some volunteers to keep up the Twitter commentary, a web conferencing system that allows for instant voting and tallying, but most importantly that everyone (audience, contestants, judges) have fun. It worked last year and we have a chance to make this next round even better.
Until next time - which should occur before 2 months have passed - keep your chin up and don't forget to find the fun and bright spots, even if they both play the disappearing game.

No comments:

Post a Comment