Monday, January 30, 2017

If I could hide and not be subjected to news, I would. Here is what I plan to do instead.

Hi All,

Two posts in one night, you say?  Yep!  What gives?  I am upset and writing it out, I hope, will help get me to a point where I can turn off my brain and sleep.  It was quite the day.

As a history major,  the events starting with Inauguration Day on January 20th, 2017, to the present have been deeply upsetting.  I do not watch TV, except Netflix and shows I get through CBS Access.  I do have an active Twitter feed with some news sources and I pickup the news based upon Facebook feeds.

The actions of the new administration during the past 14 days deeply upset me.  I am not one to speak out against authority.  Nor am I one to protest, march, or attend rallies to speak out against something that I find wrong.  Why?  I have worked for 9.5 years in a field that is constantly pulled in one direction or another by politics.  My chosen profession and those I support are not stagnant.  If they were, I would not be in my field.  Life is all about conquering the challenges.

The outcome of the United States 2016 election presents a giant challenge for me on top of a newish job and a return to running.  This morning, I found peace while running and appreciating the gorgeous white snow covering the sidewalks.  Then a dog changed it.  I recovered, but it was not the run I hoped it would be.  That dog, in some respects, reminds of me what is happening in the United States.

Elections change all of us.  I hope the changes in me are for the better, but I cannot say this for sure. What I cannot stand and refuse to support in any election, however, is the excuse of a person to take on rude, inappropriate, or unethical behavior.  An election is just that.  It is an opportunity to express an opinion and it lasts for all of one day.  The outcome can last for four years or more, depending on how popular or not the elected official is.  In 1998, I learned all about the impeachment process.  It is a two step process.  It is rarely used, but it holds great power.  A president can be impeached but not ousted.

Our thoughts, actions, and words - even in private conversations with family, friends, co-workers, etc - are a reflection of how we feel.  This has not changed.  What could have changed, however, is the emotion with which we converse about such situations.

My goal - until I can feel more at peace - is to keep an eye on the area of interest to me.  It will impact those, who I serve daily, and for whom I provide training.  If I feel that action is required, I will take it, but I am not putting myself in harms way to do so.  Will I stand with those who object, sure - but I will do so only, if I can participate and not compromise my beliefs, training, background, and ethics.

Let's all keep exercising and hope the peaceful and good times are around the next bend.

Until Wednesday, Happy Exercising!

No comments:

Post a Comment