Monday, September 28, 2015

Roots'NBlues Half Marathon - September 26th, 2015, in Columbia, Missouri

A photo posted by Runningwithallergies (@runningwithallergies) on






Oh well..Saturday..it was an experience for sure.  I am going to try and recap it for you, while trying 

not to sound whiny about it.


Pre Race Meal: 2 Picky Bars (Smooth Caffeinator and Need for Seed) and some water - I was hungry before the race started and probably should have added a banana or an additional Picky Bar to the mix.

Warm Up:

After driving to the race, which was about 45 - 60 minutes from my hotel, I stretched, added some sunblock to my legs and arms with bug repellant, and decided to jog to the start line, which was about 1.43 miles away.

Race:

It started about 12 minutes late and, having completed my warm-up by 6:30ish, I was cold and a bit stiff (not good).  Also - I was slightly hungry, but it was time to start.


I went out in 11:15, which was on the fast side, and quickly fell back into my easy pace.  Given that this race was just an extension of a longer run, I am glad that I could transition paces easily.  By mile 2, I realized finishing was a great goal and I attempted to tell myself that is why I set it in the first place.  Concrete or running in the bike path were my options and I played it safe, since I did not know the area particularly well.

First aid station - about 2.5 miles - still out on the concrete and I learned that I am quite handy at getting my right wrist covered in water.  OOPs - I will improve.

Onto the trail - or so I thought - and no concrete - oh boy, was I mistaken.  The course took us via handicap accessible pathways down, under bridges (concrete), through open fields and such (pretty but an incline was present throughout most of it), and then back onto the road onto a steep hill around mile 9-10.  A volunteer said, "Congrats, you are halfway up the hill." I was so tempted to flatten her or say something, instead, I kept grimly moving up, step by step, past the next volunteer who said, "No walking on my watch!"  I make it a point of thanking volunteers, but it was really hard to thank that lady.  Finally - we reach the top of the hill and it goes flat for about, oh 500 meters, before the climbing resumes and we are back on the concrete.  Mile 9.5 or so - an aid station with only gatorade is available.  At this point, I was parched and I won't deny it.  I asked twice to verify it only had gatorade, because I cannot have it and really wanted some water - any water!  Nope - my hearing was right.  I kept on going and they had water at the last aid station (11.5 miles) and I slowed way down to drink it. I passed mile 12 and started the ascent of yet another hill.  My calf muscles, by this point, were in the heat of spasms and stopping by 10 miles or so to stretch did not help.  I caved and started walking somewhere between mile 12 and 13.  I did run in the last .2 miles, since I could not justify walking the finish.  It was tempting, but I resisted.

Post-Race Meal:

They provided pulled pork, which I took on plate along with 3 little water bottles and two banana halves.  I sat down and within a few minutes another, new finisher, passed out due to over heating.  The way it was handled only confirmed my feeling that I will not repeat this race.  Thankfully, the lady was ok.

Many hours later, with two pairs of new running shoes and having watched the Perioscope by Tina Muir, I started getting some perspective.

My Takeaways:

  • I could have prepared more by running the course and by ditching the concrete sooner.  Also - I could have checked to make sure water would be available at all aid stations rather than just thinking/assuming it would be.
  • Ignore the volunteers - thank them but do not let whatever they are saying go to your head, especially if it relates to the course!  They might not know anything.
  • Eat a banana with the pre-race meal - apparently potassium reduces muscle spasms and hydrating more could not have hurt.
  • Avoid any race planned by these coordinators for future experiences - a participant guide arrived on Thursday for a race on Saturday.  Aid stations were in terms of quantity, but they provided not additional details.
I learned a lot from this experience and some parts I will not repeat.  I hope this does not sound whiny, because I waited to prevent it.  I will post some pictures of my new sneakers later, once I figure out how to make Instagram and my computer behave!  

The best part is that I finished and I know future races will be fine.  Sure - I can tweak meals and so forth, but I can do it, folks, and that is what yesterday's experience taught me.  I will not be the fastest, but I can finish, even if I need to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment