Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Rest and sleep are crucial!

I am still working out the details of the best way to post pictures!  Please bear with me and I will go back and add in some for you.

For most of my life, you could say that the name, "Sleep Queen," would apply.  From grade school through most of graduate school, sleep was my top priority and I would carve out 9 hours of sleep.  Yes - I realize this is a large amount, but hey, I need it!

In late grad school and throughout the beginning of my professional career, I realized that sleeping is a lot harder, when you have a lot on your mind or if you are under lots of pressure/stress at work.  Slowly, I began backing off on the sleep priority and eased into getting 7-8 hours during the week and more on weekends.

A month ago today I started drastically changing my life (diet, training, etc.) and once again the need to prioritize rest and sleep is coming to the fore.  Early morning runs are getting sidelined or delayed until the evening, since getting to sleep by 8-8:30 on a weeknight is tough!  I am pleased to report, though, that I am back to getting about 9 hours of sleep a night.

After long runs, I need to prioritize (again) getting adequate rest and sleep or I end up taking an unplanned rest day (2 weeks in a row).  Making changes requires flexibility and being able to adapt.  While I believe finishing this marathon in one piece on November 14th is a good thing, I would be dishonest, if I did not admit that backing out has been really tempting.

Highlight of the month - yesterday, I felt almost like me for the first time since making drastic changes! :)

Hurrah for the return of Fall weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment