Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Why Faartlek's Rock and Headband Love

Hey all!

As I type this, I am trying so hard to not refresh the election results.  My ability to stay up for a definite win is not going to happen.  My body - which is not adjusting well to the time change - decided I should be wide awake at 5 am this morning.  Yes, you did read that correctly 5 am.  Normally this would not bother me, but I had to a)vote and b)a faartlek workout scheduled for 6:30 pm.  Anyone want to guess why at 3:30 pm I emailed my coach when I just had not been feeling good for several hours?  Once I removed my contacts and switched clothes, I felt remarkably better.  Part of what held me back and caused nerves - of course - was fear.  I just started with this coach and I was 7 days into my new training plan to build a base.  I am slow, not in the best of shape, and had not done much - if any - speedwork in quite awhile.  On top of all that, I excel at adding distance - not speed - and that is going to present a challenge!

Then, I got a headband, learned I was the only one, and off we went.  Check out this cool headband:
A photo posted by Runningwithallergies (@runningwithallergies) on

Tomorrow, I am scheduled for rest or cross-training and Pilates.  My core - along with most of my muscles - is a bit on the flabby side.  On Monday, though, I completed the run and noticed the passing of miles only after 2 were complete.  I glanced down to make sure my watch was not running low on battery, which is has been doing.  In all previous runs, I could tell you when a mile had passed.  I am slowly improving.  Little steps are the key!

I am not doing the Turkey Trot, but I might sign up for a Santa Race.  It is almost definite that I will be working much of the holidays this year and that is another reason I am thrilled to be getting back into running.  Watch out, Spring - the buildup is starting and I am excited to see what you have to offer!

Happy Exercising.

No comments:

Post a Comment