Sunday, October 20, 2019

Finding my Why, 4 Characteristics, Milwaukee, and Happy Weekend

Hello, All!

My professional conferences are done and oh were they fun, stressful, and yet enlightening. I learned a lot and I am putting it all to use, before the next one appears.

Backing up to two weeks ago, when I started my mental training class, and I was asked to identify three characteristics:

Energetic:  I have a lot of energy and sometimes this scares or intimidates others. Tip - Expect that I will have more energy. If I admit that I am tired, you know that I really am.

Curiosity:  Why is my favorite question. Most people grow out of it. I never did. This might be one reason I love research, because I get to spend time answering some of those questions.

Enthusiastic: I can get excited about most things. If I cannot get excited or if the idea holds no appeal, I usually drop it and then decide, if my mind changes about it, to investigate it more. My first reaction is usually spot-on though.

Flare for Drama:  This is something that I initially tried to ignore and deny. I make faces - most of the time unintentionally - and I am not great at memorizing, which really means I should not have taken the acting class. I did and I learned how to manage interviews. It is not bad to have a Flare for Drama, if I manage it appropriately.

After my last half marathon in late October of last year, I started to struggle with my why when it came to running. I began having this battle in my problem with work/professionally within months of earning my graduate degree.

Running Why(s):

  • I return pumped with adrenaline and ready to tackle the world.
  • I enjoy it - provided I can stop and take a picture without causing anyone harm.
  • I do not enjoy racing right now - I may never enjoy it again. If I get excited, I will do it or I might just be a runner, who chooses not to race.
Professional Why(s):
  • My students, faculty, and staff energize, excite, and, yes, sometimes they aggravate me. I still have a better day, when they appear in my office or get in touch via email.
  • Research - it improves how I do my job and I love it.
Milwaukee was lovely and I would happily return for another visit. The Harley Davidson Museum was funny and I would be just fine never ever sitting on another motorcyle.

I am whipped and so I am delaying cello until next week. I would only be frustrated and tired, which does not make for a fun lesson.

Happy "Almost" Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment