Thursday, November 14, 2019

What A Fall, Rock Climbing, Unhappy Cellos

Hi All,

As of yesterday at 4 pm EST, I finished working with the brand new medical students during the scheduled sessions. As they number 178 and I met one-on-one or small groups (15 at most, 10 is preferable) for 15 minutes in August-September and 30 minutes in October-November. If you calculate the time spent, it is the equivalent of a full work week and then some. Yes, it did take time and, no, not all the students were happy to be present. Overall, they seemed to benefit and I think, despite the time commitment involved, it makes much more sense than how I conducted sessions.

I still cannot quite believe it is done - now they are completing the assessement, which took 3 months (yes - you read that correctly) to get Institutional Review Board Approval. Is it frustrating? Yes - others tell me this should not be the case for getting an exempt study approved. For a different exempt study, it took me another three months for approval. I joined this Institutional Review Board for two reasons, which I told them upfront:

  • I want to do a better job of submitting my own proposals, which should lead to faster approvals, and I want to be better able to advise others, who are submitting proposals.
  • Researchers should not be put off by submitting such proposals, but they will be if they cannot allocate the appropriate amount of time to complete such proposals. And they will also not be thrilled, if they have to constantly call the office to understand and make the comments suggested by reviewers.
With this entire process taking 6 months (3 months per proposal) and likely another month to approve a change (amendment) to a previously approved project, I have been asking around and no one else has had these issues. So I am not only delayed in what I hoped to accomplish but I am livid. So I will 

be working with faculty to get the office to lecture specifically on the issues facing Library Faculty. If they don’t do what I consider to be a decent job, I will be asking lots of questions until I get clarity about the situation or I will ask for someone else to present. This is unacceptable and I told them my colleagues will do just about anything to avoid the process and meet the requirements for promotion and tenure. 

If it is not abundantly clear, I am a compliant person and I do not relish confrontations. If I can avoid one, I do. It takes an awful lot to get me riled and losing my temper. My siblings and my parents, to a lesser degree, are apt to lose their tempers far more quickly than I do. If/when I do lose it, it usually terrifies my family and/or they applaud and watch with glee, because it is so unusual. Right now, I am so livid it is just rather ridiculous. This will pass and I will make my peace with it. My ire will go away, but I will not forget. I will do my best to not repeat these mistakes. If you know a compliant person, I highly suggest not irritating them, because they are really good at fighting back effectively and are aware of all the loopholes to take when riled.

Last weekend, I tried Rock Climbing. I learned the basics on how to repel and belay (come off a cliff/wall after climbing and how to safely assist a climber coming off the cliff/wall). There, I attempted bouldering (climbing a wall without a harness). My brother was correct - it is not as fun. Then, I used the automatic belaying system (also not as fun) and attempted to climb a few times - I got about 3-5 feet off the ground, but I could not figure out where to go from that point. If I ever go again, I will take a truly beginners class and I will likely retake the repelling/belaying course.

Meanwhile, I went to two different areas in Detroit in the past two weeks. I did “ok” for the most part, besides going to the wrong parking lot and then trying to enter the wrong way (oops). I enjoyed myself both times, but I am ok not visiting Detroit again anytime soon. I much prefer Ann Arbor!

My cello is so not happy with the changing weather. Strings have decided they would prefer to not be in tune - sigh - that is just not fun. Then, despite covering it in a blanket, every string went crazy after being in a car. I nearly took it into the building, where I was having the class (tiny room, really warm), and I am still not sure it would have improved the situation. I arrived at my lesson with four very loose strings and got a lecture on cello care. I have now ordered a hygrometer to monitor the humidity and a way to keep the case (and cello) at the property humidity inside the case. I decided to get one of each, after conferring with my Mom, for her birthday.

Next weekend, I will get to hear a cello concert on Friday Night and Pops volunteer orchestra on Saturday. It will be a music filled weekend and I cannot wait.  I may even purchase “select” tickets for next year.

Happy Thursday!



No comments:

Post a Comment