Thursday, August 15, 2019

Circumstances can make you or break you; Change in Plan for Saturday; Happy First Week of Classes!

Hi All,

Today I gave a bit of a gutsy presentation. In some ways, I am a bit of a chicken professionally. You might not think this, because I usually have multiple projects going and I am full of ideas. When it comes to a tough issue, I try to deal with it but also not alienate people. By tackling both reproducibility and the unreliable aspects of impact factor (a common way to evaluate the quality of journals), I was sticking my neck out this morning. Thankfully, the attendees were respectful and they asked good questions. I am not sure what, if anything, will change, but at least they have an idea of what I think. And I might go down in history as the App librarian. So be it.  Some circumstances can either make you or break you and I know that, if I had not experienced the stress of tenure, I could not have done this presentation as effectively today.

I decided to do just the 5 miler on Saturday. I could have continued with my original plan, but I would have been pushing my limits. So I backed down and, depending on how it goes, I may start looking at half marathon races. Having guests in town was really fun, but oh am I tired and off schedule. That's ok.

The first week of classes is almost over and so far my revamped program for meeting with students is going well. I hope it continues to go smoothly as I have 173 students to meet between now and September 20th!

My apologies for the tardy write-up and, yes, I will recount the good, bad, and the ugly of what happens on Saturday.

Happy Thursday (almost Friday) all!

No comments:

Post a Comment