Monday, August 5, 2019

Monday, Monday, I might be crazy; Dayton Tragedy, Return of Students

Hi All,

I think I might be starting a Monday trend of blogging. For whatever reason, most Saturdays I end up doing lot of things and then crashing (literally as in yesterday) on Sunday. So if you here from me on Mondays, this would be why. It is rather nice to start the week with a recap of what happened (or didn't) the previous week.

On Friday, I signed up for a race in Jackson, Michigan. It is "Running of the Vines," and it is coordinated by the group, who puts on "Run Woodstock" each year. The crazy part is that I signed up to do both the 5k and 5 miler back-to-back. I can easily fit the time requirement for the 5k, which I plan to use as my warm-up, and then I will survive and maybe push the 5 miler pace a bit. Yes, I could be a bit crazy, but the prizes are wine, chocolate, cheese, and cider. Um, doesn't that sound fun to you? Or perhaps this is another crazy Margaret idea. We shall see. Recap to come post race and, when I hope to still be walking/running normally, on 19 August 2019.

And I hit my highest mileage in months last week, when I ran every other day (Saturday-Friday). I proceeded to crash on Saturday and I ended up napping a bit on Sunday. My electric company did not listen to my numerous calls an so I had to pay the whopper of a bill. It was 78 in my house on Sunday and maybe I will use that as my excuse for napping. I was also whipped, but that would be due to pushing the new schedule/how late can I stay up and maintain it boundaries. Oh well...I am adjusting to the new schedule and it really does work better, when I just stay up instead of going back to sleep and then getting up again a few hours later. That might be part of why I felt lousy Saturday and napped on Sunday.

I am in shock - still - about the Dayton shooting. Dayton is primarily south and a little west of where I live, but it feels close. Someone, who I dated for almost a year, is from that area and I "sort of know" someone else, who is safe. I feel awful about the shooting and I can only hope it is a wake-up call for the legislators. Something needs to change, because such tragedies are occurring far more than they should, which in my opinion should be never. I respect trained officials, who know firearm safety and need to protection for the positions they hold, but I have issues with an ordinary citizen owning a firearm for safety. I understand the Second Amendent and the right to own arms, but I still think we could and should be doing a better job.

Onto a more fun topic, the students begin returning today and Orientation kicks off on Wednesday. The next 8-10 weeks are going to be busy but oh so fun. I love the students, even when I begin to feel like I am dinosaur, but that's life. I have a dinosaur slide and I might just use it, when I facilitate my sessions this Fall.

Happy Monday - Stay Safe and, if you have loved ones in Dayton, know that they are in my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment