Thursday, March 16, 2017

It's been tough, but I have been through worse times.

Hi All,

Last weekend, I learned that a friend, who is also a fitness fanatic, is facing unemployment in the upcoming months.  Despite switching jobs and working part-time at one point, I have only been "unemployed" for a few days in nearly ten years of my professional career.  It is something for which I am grateful, but I do remember being quite depressed for five months, when I worked only 8-16 hours a week, if I was lucky.   I am doing my best to support this friend and her colleagues and it sure put some perspective on my own situation.  Each position or job contains hurdles.  Do you leap them?  Run around them?  Or break it as you continue pushing?

Running this week is going really well and it is proving to be cathartic.  The time change throws me for a loop each year - especially in the Spring - but that's ok.  It is Thursday and I have managed to follow my training plan completely for a week.  Go me!  Also - I managed a workout despite not great conditions and I am convinced this will make me stronger for the 5k on Sunday.  It also gave me a great chance to continue wearing my smart wool socks and wazzie wool layers.
A post shared by Runningwithallergies (@runningwithallergies) on

As Sunday approaches, my goals are simple:

1)Do not get injured!  I do not anticipate this being an issue, but I am always happy to cross the line without sustaining an injury.

2)Run a smart race.  My speed workouts indicate I can do a 10-10:30 mile for a decent amount of time.  Will I be able to pull that off Sunday?  I am not sure.  I will start the watch with the race and ignore it until I cross the finish line.  If I am feeling ok, I will pickup my pace for the last 1.6 miles of the race.  Ending on a sprint is always fun.

3)Beat previous race time.  I am in much better shape - even with setbacks - than I was in October.  Keeping that in mind, I should be able to beat my previous race time.  I am not going for a personal best (I prefer it to personal record!).  Perhaps by April 23rd, I will be able to get a sub 30 minute 5k, but I want to make sure I enjoy all the races.

If you are running long this weekend, good luck!  If you are racing, I wish you good weather and the time you desire at the end.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment