Saturday, March 4, 2017

Moving past the sludge: A few weeks in review

Hi All!

My posting lately has been sporadic and I am working towards being more consistent - ironically for posting and running!

This morning I got in 6 miles.  Lately - my long runs have been cut short (3 weeks in a row) or have not happened.  It is likely that my half marathon on April 23 will not be a personal record (PR) or personal best (PB).  My goal for the 23rd is run the best that I can, but I want to enjoy it.  Also - I truly want to run a smart race, since going into it, my speedwork and training are better than they have been previously.

My first half marathon was part of a running camp and I finished it in 2 hours.  Prior to it, I ran 6 miles three days a week and completed each in about an hour (10 min miles).  Right now, by contrast, my long runs/easy runs are in the 12:30 range, although today I unintentionally did a cut down workout and managed to shave off nearly a minute.  Given that my speed workout earlier this week was slower than in previous weeks, I was thrilled.

The second half marathon took place in warm weather with only a day's transition (bad).  I ate things the night before, which backfired during the second half of the race (not a pretty sight).  It was a long drive to/from the location and I was exhausted going into the race.  So - no surprise here - I finished in 2:17:24.  Actually, looking at it now, that looks pretty good.  My training had been on a treadmill and, while I learned to use it as training tool, it was never my favorite.

Half marathon three was the worst experience ever.  I was battling allergies and had switched up my diet a few weeks prior to the race.  I wrote about the experience and my frustration with it in great detail here.

Going into half marathon four, I want to enjoy it.  More than that, I want to see if I can feel better, relaxed, and enjoy it, while also putting in a good effort and giving a good kick at the end of it.  I am not expecting to break 2:30, but I would not be sad if it happened.  This will be my first long distance event since 2015, after backing out of a fall 2016 half marathon.

Now - I am tired but happy.   This afternoon, I took a huge step in the right direction and this could lead to a relocation in late April/early May that will assist in good changes.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment