Sunday, January 15, 2017

Body Image - Let's get real!

As a girl with three brothers and an outspoken father, I tend to dress conservatively.  If I am feeling in shape, then I might wear a tighter more form-fitting outfit or shorts in public.  Skirts happen, but it depends again on how I am feeling.  How does this fit on running blog?  Stay tuned!

I just listened to a podcast on Runners Connect interviewing Lanni Marchant.  The podcast host, Tina Muir, makes a point of sharing stories about hiding her scale, eating chocolate, and "humanizing the role" of a professional athlete.  In this podcast, which is fantastic, hits on all the image issues many people fail to discuss.  You can listen to the podcast by clicking here.  Better yet, check out the weekly episodes of Runners Connect or pop over and read about the adventures of Tina Muir on her blog available here.

By now, it is quite obvious that I will never compete at the level of Tina and Lanni.  That's ok.  I read and follow blogs of many professionals, because they inspire me in a way my professional colleagues do not.  Exercise for me is first and foremost for myself.  Having played soccer for 10 years, I have substantial quads.  I can tell when I am getting back into shape by how well defined the muscles are.  Then, I also did Irish Step Dancing for parts of four years.  Basically, I have calf muscles that defy the odds in size.  I did find some knee high boots, but I won't bother to describe the gymnastics required to get in and out of them.  I enjoy them and that is why I purchased them.

Friday and Saturday, I tested out the Wazzie Wool leggings from Oiselle.  They work perfectly and you can tell a professional running company designed them.  For me, personally, these will likely always hide under sweatpants or another layer.  I get cold easily and I have Raynaud's.   Essentially, I wear extra layers or clothes almost all the time.  When I am running in the summer, I have to be careful not to over heat and then reverse course and get exceedingly cold.  It is not pleasant and it has happened.  These leggings are saving me from some gear I purchased many years ago, which has not held up to my expectations.  Also - I am living in a colder climate than when I purchased them.

I think what I learned most from this podcast is that people will view and comment on how we look regardless of what we do or not do to hide it.  Looks, when I am in shape, do not bother me as much as when I feel out-of-shape.  In my dress and attitude, however, my goal is to blend not stand out in a crowd.  This goal gives me the chance to observe.  Comments about my clothing and lack of attention to "in style fads and trends" are nasty parts of relationships I have had (professional and personal) in the past, which I am always fighting.  It would be lovely if I stop needing to fight, but I am not holding my breath.

My professional colleagues and I frequently are not on the same page when it comes to exercise.  They do not know, unless I say something, that I am training for a half marathon or that I frequently exercise before work.  At work, our focus is on just that - work.  I will discuss it, if someone mentions running.

I am a runner and I am female.  My clothing reflects more of how I am feeling than what the latest trends or styles happen to be.  I have learned that I will feel awkward and ungainly in most dance classes, which does not apply for Irish Dancing, because I have a body that builds muscles.  I choose clothing that I enjoy and I hope my mind and attitude - not what I am wearing - catches the attention of others.

If you are still reading, congrats - I did not mean to rant, but this body image debate needed to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment