Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Speedwork: Necessary and Challenging

Today, I did my prescribed speed workout.  It was supposed to happen last week, but I was in a warmer climate and my body decided to not enjoy the 30+ degree temperature shift.  It is fun that way.

I set my Garmin to tell me when to push, rest, and so forth and I think it went ok, although the first part definitely went better.  It was my first attempt at 10 minutes at 80% with a 2 minute rest.  Being me, I struggle with the first "new" workout attempt, but I love the variety.  My paces were off by 12-20 seconds.  I ignore the pace setting and I will admit to being a bit bummed, when I noticed the pace per mile readout.  That's life.  I can add on distance till I am blue in the face, but the speed workouts are tough for me.  This is why I do them, because I know it is what I need.  It also helps to have a coach, who can help me troubleshoot why I am off, and have I mentioned I am glad to not be racing until April 23rd?  My return to running is progressing and I am excited to see the positive changes of the past few months.

Also - to note - I got quite warm by the time I stared the latter half of the workout.  Safety is important, but it sure does make shedding layers a bit tough.  I will plan better next time.  My vest - although not in a two-pack - resembles this one available through Amazon.

For those of you who had to return to work yesterday, I am sorry!  Today is my first day back post-holiday and, while returning is never easy, I am so thankful I had time away to gain perspective.

This morning - for the first time in ages - I managed to run, get ready, eat, and load up on caffeine before leaving.  Yes - this will become more of a challenge as I run longer distances pre-work, but I will take it.

Happy Tuesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment